Routines are important, especially in the morning. The more fixed actions you have, the less decision-making and decision fatigue you deal with, setting yourself up for achievement. Here is my ideal morning on a weekday:
1. make the bed – It seems like a little thing, but making your bed in the morning gives you an early win. You have accomplished something right out of the gate, and will go on to do much more.
2. drink water – Do this within five minutes of waking up. Everyone wakes up dehydrated.
5. short journal entry – Write down your answers to the following:
- I am grateful for . . .
- What would make today great?
These questions prepare you for getting the most out of the day. And gratitude is a key to happiness.
6. short kettle bell routine – I use this YouTube video (15 Minute Kettle Bell Workout Video). I am going for a minimum effective dose, meaning the smallest dose that will produce a desired outcome and anything beyond is wasteful.
And that’s it. It takes about 30 minutes. Primed and ready, I will achieve great things in my day.